At first I just painted the whole thing white. I learned the hard way that I should have primed it first. It doesn’t paint well and took several coats.
We had the cabinet like this for about a year, but then after getting into the blogging community I saw all the wonderful redo’s that use distressing techniques. I LOVE them! And I knew that would look wonderful in my “Victorian” themed bathroom. So today I got out my sanding block and started distressing the edges.
If I hadn’t been so lazy (and if the cabinet had been any bigger), I’d have gone out to the workshop and dug out the electric sander. But the sanding block was already in the house … thus EASIER!!
I’m liking how this looks, but decided to add some stain or glaze to really bring out the aged look. I actually wanted to use some antiquing glaze but don’t have any (need to get me sum-a-dat!) so I ended up using some old stain and a paper towel.
After rubbing a little on the edges (emphasis on very little) and wiping/sanding anything excessive back off, I’m LOVING the new look of this cabinet. So glad for all the inspiration I’m getting from reading other blogs!
Here’s another before, then and after. Can’t help it. I love to see the drastic changes side-by-side!!!
Have a GREAT day!!!