When I picture the windows open in a room, I imagine warm sunshine streaming through as the wind gently blows the curtains. Fresh air hits me and I am compelled to take a deep breath. The refreshing energy fills my soul. Of course there are only certain seasons when it's practical to open the windows, but my goal is to fill my heart, home, and family with a beautiful serenity that always makes me think the windows are open!

Wednesday, November 24

Persimmon Cookies

I submitted this recipe for a contest today and since I had already taken pictures, I decided to share it with you too.  It’s a great fall dessert and will be accompanying the pumpkin pie after our Thanksgiving feast.

Persimmon Cookies

My parents have had a persimmon tree for as long as I can remember and my mom still shares the fruit with us when they ripen in autumn.  This recipe came from my aunt and has been a tradition in our family for a long time.  They are moist, chewy dollops of heaven!!

Persimmon Cookies 2

Persimmon Cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 beaten egg
1 cup persimmon pulp
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chopped dates
2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Cream shortening and sugar; add egg, persimmon, and vanilla.  Beat for 1 minute.  Add pecans and dates.  In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Stir into creamed mixture.  Drop by teaspoons onto greased cookie sheets.  Bake at 375° F for 12 minutes. (yield: 4 dozen)

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts and meet new people. Tell me what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails